Thursday 5 June 2014

Time for a rest



On the May Day bank holiday weekend I had a really hard weekend of training. On the Saturday I had an 8 hour run on the fells followed by a 2 and a half hour fell race on the Sunday and another 8 hour run on the fells on the Monday. The next weekend (last weekend) I did the 20 mile Duddon Valley fell race. It is a great race but I felt shattered from the start. There was just nothing in my legs. It was time for a rest for the final two weeks before I start on June 14th

June 14th has been etched on my mind for a long time now. It now seems to be really close. I have really mixed feelings about the whole thing now. At times I feel really excited about doing it and cannot wait to start. I think of all the other races I have done, the training and I think I have a really good chance of breaking the record. Then suddenly my feelings change completely and I am daunted and scared by the length of the route and keeping going for 20 hours a day. I feel the pressure of having 40 or so people out to support me (thanks everyone for the help) having taken time of work and away from families. I worry that it will all go wrong and I will get an injury early on and have to pull out. Then I think that everyone has offered and is happy to help and they will understand completely if I do have to pull out.

As Emma (my wife) said in the previous blog Jane is doing a good job sorting me out. It is hard fitting it around work and seeing the family. But I should see a lot more of the family after 21st June.

I am now sorting out clothing and food. Berghaus are providing me with some great kit. It is like Christmas at the house at the moment with big boxes arriving every day. Unlike normal I am going to look really smart during the 7 days.

I now have to decide what food I want to eat. Torq have provided me with some really good food to eat on the fells: bar, gels and energy drinks. At the 24 support points I am planning on eating normal food  - porridge for breakfast, pasta, potatoes, fruit etc. I need to provide a menu for Jane and my support team.

As well as sorting everything out the important thing for me to do is to try and rest, relax and look forward to this amazing adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment