Thursday 10 July 2014

Route and times


For anyone out there into the details of my Wainwrights run, below are the links to the route I took (gpx file) and the times I took to each of the 214 tops. This will obviously also be really useful for the next person to have a go at this (I assume it will be less than 27 years time!)

GPX file of actual track taken

Pdf file of scheduled and actual split times and Excel spreadsheet of scheduled and actual split times

The final gpx file gives a total of 516km with 36300m of ascent in my old version of Memory Map.  The error in the track over Dow crag and a few other small errors have been corrected. Although I have  forgotten to remove the extra bit my tracker did while I was asleep on Great Cockup! The actual route will probably be slightly further than this as there is sometimes a straight line between two points on the tracker while my actual route bends considerably.

One of the things I found most strange on my run was how close I stayed to my schedule. I was almost always within two hours of it. The way I worked it out was not very scientific but it obviously turned out to be good. On the first day I set the speed to 20 hour Bob Graham pace. Then after that I gradually reduced the speeds so that my final scheduled time was 6 days and 14 hours. The speed depended on a flat speed and a climbing speed (plus a slight reduction in  speed for descent which I did not bother changing) - the main weakness being that it took no account for the type of terrain. So on day 1 in the schedule my flat speed was 12 km/hr and I was climbing at 15m/min. By day 7 this was set to 7km/hr flat speed and climbing at 8 m/min. At the end I was actually still climbing well and a lot faster than 8 m/min so I was picking up lots of time of the climbs. On the grassy descents I was staying just about level with the schedule. On the steep rocky descents I was loosing quite a bit of time (for example the west wall traverse down from Scafell to Lingmell).

No comments:

Post a Comment